See All Tests and Treatments
Procedure Name: Barium Swallow (Esophagram)
Department Responsible for performing Procedure:
Department Contact Information:
Where to Report:
Please enter at the Outpatient Entrance and go to Outpatient Registration 45 minutes prior to your scheduled procedure. You will be directed to the Radiology Department.
What to Bring:
– Physician Order
– Any forms from your physician relating to this visit
– Your insurance / Medicaid / Medicare card
– Driver’s License / Photo Identification
– List of current medications along with the dosages and times taken, including over-the-counter drugs and herbals
– A list of all of your allergies
– Please check with your insurance carrier for any authorization requirements
– Any films or reports from relevant studies not performed at Southern Regional
– Nothing to eat, drink, or smoke 10 hours before examination.
– Please follow any other specific instructions given to you by your doctor.
– Please read the Procedure Information for additional instructions and information.
– Post Procedure: Drink plenty of fluids for 24 hours following this exam.
The Esophagram or Barium Swallow is an exam where you will be instructed to drink a thick liquid called barium. This allows the Radiologist to study the function and appearance of the esophagus and assess the swallowing process.
None Currently Available
Center for Bariatrics and Health Weight
The Women’s Health Center
Heart & Vascular Services