Day Before Surgery
What to Expect the Day Before Surgery at Southern Regional Medical Center
Preparing for Surgery
On the day before your procedure, it is important to begin preparing your body for surgery. Our medical team has specific instructions on how you can get ready.
Here are some guidelines on to follow the day before surgery.
- Eat only light meals the day before your operation.
- No food or drinks after midnight the night before surgery. (This includes gum, water, candy and cigarettes.)
- Try to avoid consuming any alcoholic beverages 24 hours before your surgery.
- Take only the medications you have been specifically instructed to take with a small sip of water the morning of your surgery.
- Attempt to empty your bowels before surgery in order to avoid constipation after surgery.
Remind your family and friends that you will be in surgery for about two hours and in the recovery room for about two hours after surgery.
Center for Bariatrics and Health Weight
The Women’s Health Center
Heart & Vascular Services